Wednesday 30 September 2009

Good news, bad news and utterly devastating news

Good news: I just learned that my Father has had the all clear for his bladder cancer. So until his next test 3 months from now, we can all breathe a sigh of relief.

Good news: I have just had my hormone fertility tests back and they are all very good. I have good fertility meaning that I am very capable of having a baby. Now it all depends on what they find when they do a pelvic ultrasound next Friday. I know I have a fibroid so the ultrasound will show if its grown, if it might get in the way of a baby growing. If it has, I may have to have surgery to remove it.

Bad news: I still haven't heard about my mortgage and equity release. The Abbey National are being utter pains in the backside, asking for more bits of info every few days. It was supposed to have been sorted out by today when my current mortgage actually finishes but they are being shit. I'm losing faith in my mortgage broker... I contacted him over 6 weeks ago to sort this out and still its up in the air. His holiday was far more important and so MY life has been delayed 10 days.

Utterly devastating news: Yesterday, an hour after finding out about my Fathers' good news, I heard about a good friends' cancer returning, with a vengeance. Last year, at the age of 29, she had a mastectomy to remove breast cancer. She has only just felt herself, her hair has grown back, her confidence returned. Last week she found a lump in her neck. Yesterday they told her it was fatal. With treatment she has a life expectancy of 2-3 years... without treatment, 2-3 months. I don't know how to react. I'm in such shock it's hard to express it. Only when I spoke to her best friend late last night did it truly hit me, and we spent the next hour in hysterical tears. My friend and her best friend are meeting tonight to talk it through but my friend has already said she can't go through the hours of chemo and radiotherapy again and is saying she might refuse treatment. All I know is that if I she wants to jump out of a plane, swim with dolphins, get drunk every night... then I will be there, doing it with her.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh goodness me, good and bad too right...blimey! Thinking of you and your friends. F***king cancer.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Just stumbled across your blog. So sorry for the bad news and keeping fingers crossed for the pelvic ultrasound.
I don't know if you've read this book or if it will be any use to you (or just annoying and irrelevant because it's US based) but a friend of mine found this really useful recently when she decided to become a single mum.

It's called "Knock yourself Up" and you can find it on Amazon.

Good luck!