Friday 5 February 2010

Disaster

Gosh, how things change. Have been waiting for my date on Saturday with Fred, the half Egyptian, half Indian chap, with some excitement until yesterday when it all went disastrously wrong!

After spending at least half an hour on the phone setting up where we were meeting for lunch in Chiswick (West London), yesterday morning at 7am, he texted me saying "I can't make saturday". No apology, no explanation. I bit my lip and suggested we meet tonight instead. A long exhausting, exchange of emails ensued... he lives in Ealing (west west west London), I live In Balham (south London) so a central meeting point we agreed, would have been where our tube lines crossed... central London.

He sent an email back, obviously totally ignoring the meeting in central London part and suggested meeting in a shopping mall in WEST London (5 tube stops from his house.. 19 from mine and two train changes!) because it was "good neutral terrotory" and had the appeal of "its great because it has free parking!". Oh dear... was this a date or a business meeting??? I started to doubt this man and I may be compatable. A mall is not the first thing that springs to mind when I think first date and the allure of free parking doesn't really swing it for me!!! Oh My God, I almost forgot to mention.. his real name is Fiesal Butt, I kid you not. No wonder he calls himsef Freddy, bless.

Finally, after a whole day (it seemed) of to-ing and fro-ing about times and locations, we agreed to meet at 7pm in central London... phew!

Then, this morning at 8am I get a text "I can't make tonight". No apology, no explanation. Sound familiar?? This time I didn't bite my lip and phoned him. Calmly I asked what had happened and why the change of plan again?? He sort of verbally shrugged and so I said, "Look, you're obviously a bit busy right now and the timings' not so good so why don't we leave it for a week or so and try again?" I thought that was incredibly reasonable considering inside I was screaming "What the fuck, you miserable cretin, you DARE to cancel on Jules AGAIN???" I might as well have screamed that out loud because all I heard was a "Hurrumph" and he hung up. He hung up on me for being nice. Bloody hell, what a fucking weirdo. I was sitting there with my mouth open for several minutes until my phone beeped and it was a text message. "Sorry for messing you about and hanging up. Do you still fancy meeting for lunch tomorrow?"

My mouth is metaphorically still open. I didn't reply.

No comments: