Friday 26 February 2010

Not telling

Another of my New Years Resolutions (which I've already stupidly broken), was not to tell anyone anything exciting that was happening with my life until something had ACTUALLY happened.

I have always told my family and friends when I was interested in a man or of a job prospect or of holiday plans. I would only tell them if I thought there may be something worthy of reporting and that it might go somewhere but this year I have decided that telling them nothing is better. It saves disappointment on their part when things don't work out. It save my embarrassment when they ask "oh darling, how's it going with so-and-so" when it has never actually got off the ground. My friends get exasperated when I tell them, breathlessly of a new infatuation or a first date and then the next time I see them, there is nothing to report.

So my last but one posting, proves my point. I talked of Oscar, the Columbian restaurant owner, keen and excitable at the prospect of meeting up with him again. Since my phone-call on Tuesday I have heard nothing. We had tentatively made plans for this weekend but he said to call him when I knew my schedule. I told him I would call on Thursday. He said "what time weeeeel you call me darling?" I said "Thursday morning", he said "I look forward to hearing you again". I did as I said and called on Thursday. Confusion began when I realised I had 2 phone numbers for him (a drug dealer, according to my gay friend!). I left messages on both numbers, casually, with a light-hearted and flirty tone. I asked him to call back and let me know when was good for him but suggested Saturday lunch or dinner. NOTHING. It's now Friday night and I have heard nothing back. Blood bloody hell!! What does that mean? This was all supposed to be ridiculously casual and yet now I'm annoyed that I haven't heard back!!

I'm already making excuses for him... was I not very clear in my message, did he even get the message, was my message too enthusiastic and put him off? Fuck, fuck fuck!!! No matter how hard I try to not care or think about it, I've already told you all and now I feel like an idiot because I thought, for once, someone is keener on me than I am on him, so I don't really care. I do care and he hasn't called and now I look like a muppet. My resolution is now re-instated, I say nothing until something has happened and I don't look a fool.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Know the feeling. It just means HJNTIY. He's just not that into you.

Onwards and upwards.

LBB xxx

Anonymous said...

Aww, never mind about him. Perhaps he knocked himself out on sangria or summat.
You can always tell us everything :-)

Jules said...

Thanks little Brown Bird.... ha, ha, makes me feel so much better!!

Miss Welcome said...

Oh gosh - I can so relate to you. But never ever call the guy. They need to work for it or they won't respect you. Next time tell him, "okay" and then don't do it. If they ask you to call, they're probably a player.

And make plans for the weekend too so you're not waiting around. The more you've got a full life, the harder it is for them and the more they get interested. (Although if they're a player, their true nature will reveal itself before too long).